Tomato Soup Cake
When it comes to a classic recipe this Tomato Soup Cake is one you want to have on your list. Easy to whip up, seriously delicious and odd enough to keep people guessing.
Servings: 12 slices
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs well beaten
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 10.75oz can tomato soup
- 1 cup raisins optional
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 9"x13" baking pan with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
In medium bowl whisk together your flour, baking powder, baking soda, cloves, cinnamon and nutmet, set aside.
In large bowl add your shortening and sugar and beat with hand mixture until combined.
Add in your eggs, water and tomato soup and beat until well blended.
Pour in your flour mixture and beat again until no flour streaks remain.
Fold in your raisins and powdered sugar and then spread into prepared baking pan and bake for about 35 minutes.
In medium pot on stove melt together your butter, brown suar and milk over low heat and bring to a boil and boil for a few minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool slightly where it's easy to touch.
Once cooled add your powdered sugar in one cup at a time whisking after each addition, then whisk in you vanilla.
Spread over cake and cut and serve.
- The walnuts and raisins are optional, like I stated before my mom likes to leave out the raisins while I like to add them.
- I've also seen this cake made with cream cheese frosting so if you are not a fan of brown sugar frosting that may be another option.
- Spread this into a sheet pan and have a sheet cake, simple and delicious and the frosting should also cover that as well.
- Add powdered sugar to frosting 1 cup at a time until it reaches a pourable but spreadable frosting, you don't want it too wet.
- You can use butter in place of the shortening in this recipe, we have always used shortening but can easily be swapped.
Calories: 516kcal | Carbohydrates: 82g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 137mg | Potassium: 286mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 55g | Vitamin A: 284IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 2mg