This Buttermilk Cornbread is quick and easy to whip up. With minimal ingredients and process, this recipe comes together start to finish in under 30 minutes.
Servings: 8 slices
- 4 Tbs butter
- 1 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2-4 Tbs sugar your judgement, we use 4 Tbs
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
Preheat your oven to 425. Place butter in 9" cast iron skillet and place in oven to melt, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile in bowl add your cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt and whisk to combined.
In another bowl add your buttermilk and egg and whisk until blended, add to your cornmeal mixture and mix until incorporated.
Pour into hot cast iron skillet and bake in oven for 20 minutes until top turns golden, remove and cut into wedges and serve.
- You can swap out polenta for cornmeal.
- You can essentially use any type of milk you'd like, but buttermilk is highly recommend.
- Southern cornbread usually doesn't have sweetener in it, but we like a little sugar in ours, use your judgement on what you'd like to do.
- Preheat and melt your butter in the oven, this helps create a crispy crust for your cornbread recipe.
- Serve with a pat of butter and a drizzle of honey for a little extra sweetness.
- If you don't own a cast iron skillet you can use a 9" round or square baking pan.
Calories: 274kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 194mg | Potassium: 191mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 294IU | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 2mg