Tomato Pie Recipe
A delicious fresh tasting savory pie with minimal ingredients this Tomato Pie Recipe is easy, filling, cheesy and absolutely addicting.
Servings: 8 slices
- 4 large tomatoes, sliced thin
- 9" pie crust
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
- 3/4 cup mayo
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mild or medium cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375. Add your pie crust to a 9" pie plate, crimp edges and bake in oven for about 10 minutes or until slightly browning and hardened, remove from oven to cool.
Slice your tomatoes and place them on a paper towel lined baking sheet and sprinkle with salt, this will draw out the moisture, let them sit for about 15 minutes, then dab with paper towel pressing gently to remove as much moisture as you can.
Layer the bottom of your pie crust with tomatoes until it is covered, sprinkle with some basil and green onions and a sprinkle of salt and pepper, repeat until all tomatoes are used up, ending with your basil and green onions.
In bowl mix together mayo and cheeses until combined, spread gently on top of the tomato layers and sprinkle with a bit more salt and pepper then bake in oven for about 30 minutes until browned and golden, remove from oven to cool.
- You can use any type of tomatoes that you like for this recipe, Romas, heirloom, etc. Just make sure they are thinly sliced and with moisture taken out of them.
- You can use frozen, refrigerated or fresh made pie crust, they all work the same in this recipe.
- If you don't want to layer the basil and green onions between each of your tomato layers, you can add them all on top before adding your mayo and cheese layer.
- Pre-baking the crust prevents it from going soggy and making sure that the bottom of the crust bakes during the process.
- You can use any mixture of cheese you would like, we like cheddar and mozzarella, you can use all cheddar if you would like.
- Salt and peppering each layer helps with even flavoring.
Calories: 352kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 400mg | Potassium: 208mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 864IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 190mg | Iron: 1mg