Easy, tasty and delicious these Hoe Cakes are a fun side dish to go with your dinner time meal, a snack to nosh on or breakfast to devour.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
Servings: 15 cakes
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbs water
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 2 eggs
- Oil for frying
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Real Bacon bits or cooked crumbled bacon
In bowl mix together your cornmeal and flour until combined.
Add in your buttermilk, vegetable oil, water, sugar and eggs and whisk until everything is incorporated.
In skillet, heat oil on medium-high.
Drop by heaping tablespoons (about 2-3 tablespoons per cake) into oil and fry until golden, flip until each side is golden about 3-4 minutes per side (depending on how hot your stove runs).
Remove from pan onto paper towel lined plate to drain grease.
- To add the cheddar and bacon just stir into batter and follow directions.
- Make them smaller, they are meant to be eaten in smaller portions, not like large sized pancakes.
- They are normally made with buttermilk, but you can also add regular milk if you don't have any buttermilk.
- Also if you want to make your own buttermilk, you can make homemade by mixing 1 cup of milk with 1 Tbs white vinegar or lemon juice.
- Add in other mix in's if you like, like stated above we like to add cheddar and bacon.
- Drizzle with all the syrup, hoe cakes are supposed to have syrup!
- Make sure you drain these well on paper towels before serving, like any fried food there will be residual grease leftover.
Calories: 151kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 69mg | Potassium: 74mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 125IU | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 0.5mg