Slow Cooker Roasted Sweet Potato Soup with Ham
This slow cooker roasted sweet potato soup with ham is the ultimate comfort food. It’s packed with veggies, sweet potatoes, and kidney beans and will leave you begging for more!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time4 hrs
Total Time4 hrs 10 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 large Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cubed into roughly 1 inch cubes
- 1-1.5 lb Ham Steak , cubed, (or leftover ham)- bone set aside
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 15 ounce can of dark red kidney beans, drained *
- 4 carrots, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 celery, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered
- 6 cups (48 oz) chicken broth, (can sub veggie broth)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup half and half, more for serving
- salt & pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Add sweet potatoes, carrots, garlic cloves, celery, and onion to sheet pan in single layer. Add olive oil. Toss to combine. Roast for 20-25 minutes, turning once halfway through, until potatoes are soft and browned.
Add roasted veggies, ham, ham bone, chicken broth, Italian seasoning, and salt to slow cooker. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low 6-7 hours.
Remove cover. Add half and half. Use immersion blender to puree the soup right in the slow cooker **. When finished pureeing add the kidney beans to slow cooker. Cook on high for 30 min-1 hour heating the beans.
Serve. Add fresh parsley or more half and half to each bowl of soup, if desired.
* don't like kidney beans? No prob! Other beans you can use for this recipe: white beans, cannellini beans, black beans, pinto beans, or chickpeas
** don't have an immersion blender? You can also use a regular blender, but that requires working in small batches and working with hot liquids, so be careful when blending! Add soup in small batches to blender, puree, then add back to slow cooker. Repeat until all soup is blended. Continue following instructions.
Calories: 298kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 2323mg | Potassium: 1041mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 23005IU | Vitamin C: 48.5mg | Calcium: 103mg | Iron: 2.2mg