Chocolate, peppermint and buttercream make this fun Winter Cocoa Cake an easy and delicious layered cake recipe you won’t be able to resist!
Hi everyone! I am Carlee from Cooking With Carlee. I love sharing family favorite recipes. Some have been gracing our tables for generations, some are more recent additions to our menus and some are brand new recipes we have developed. I get a lot of help from my mom, “MiMi,” and my toddler. My husband, Matt, is my chief taste-tester.
I am so happy to help Alli while she is on vacation. Everyone deserves a nice break. I am also so excited to share this recipe with you! It takes one of my favorite winter treats, hot chocolate, and allows you to enjoy it in cake form. Just think of it, fudgy cake, fluffy white chocolate frosting and a sprinkling of candy cane bits. All you need is a mug and a cozy blanket!
This recipe starts with a delicious and easy one bowl chocolate cake recipe. It really doesn’t take much more work to make a cake from scratch than it does to start with a box mix. Get out a few ingredients and your measuring cups and go to work. Before you know it the intoxicating smells of chocolate will be coming from your oven.
Next, I drizzled some simply syrup over the baked cakes. Since I was leaving the edges of the cake naked, I wanted to be sure it stayed plenty moist.
White chocolate buttercream is one of my new favorite recipes this year. My sister-in-law, Jess, introduced me to it. It is so light and fluffy. You get just enough white chocolate flavor to make your frosting feel so special. I have probably had it at least four or five times already this year. That is really saying something for somebody who is trying to keep new things coming for the blog. If I repeat things, you know they are REALLY good!
The assembly of this cake is really easy. Just spread some frosting on the bottom layer. Top with the second cake. I piped the frosting on the top layer, but you could easily spread that layer as well. Sprinkle with a few broken candy canes. It is the perfect combination of flavors! We served our cake with a nice scoop of peppermint ice cream and it was a hit. Mmmm!
Winter Cocoa Cake
Chocolate, peppermint and buttercream make this fun Winter Cocoa Cake an easy and delicious layered cake recipe you won't be able to resist!Print Pin Rate
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 2/3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 2/3 cups flour
- 2 cups milk
- SIMPLE SYRUP
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 recipe White Chocolate Buttercream
- 3 small candy canes
- Preheat 350 Grease and flour 2 9 inch cake pans. Make sure they are at least 2" deep, otherwise make a third layer!!! I am serious, these cakes almost topped my 2" pans!
- Cream butter. Add sugar and beat on high for a couple of minutes until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time until completely incorporated.
- Add vanilla, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Beat until well mixed.
- Add flour, mixing until just combined.
- Add half the milk, mix until mostly combined. Add the rest of the milk and beat until just combined.
- Spread evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until it tests done.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and continue to cool on wire racks.
- Bring 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Spoon half of simple syrup mixture over each cake. This will help keep the cakes moist and delicious!
- Allow cakes to cool completely before you frost.
- Prepare your white chocolate buttercream. Spread just under half on the bottom cake layer. Top with second cake layer. Spoon remaining frosting into piping bag fitted with large star tip. Pipe frosting onto top layer. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
Calories: 432kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 85mg | Sodium: 370mg | Potassium: 222mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 47g | Vitamin A: 530IU | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 2.2mg