These Pepperoni Pizza Pretzels are soft and gooey and loaded with cheesy goodness making them a delicious snack for everyone to enjoy!
So I know you all know that I have this love hate relationship with Minnesota. Well this past week I’ve been in love. Why you may ask? Because Mother Nature has been off her rocker. It has been a steady 65-70 degrees here these last few days and I’m absolutely enjoying it. My kitchen however is not, because instead of seeing me, it’s seeing nothing. I feel so bad neglecting my love, but when you have this weather and you’re supposed to have 40’s I think you’ll understand.
I haven’t entirely neglected the kitchen lately I promise, just slightly downsized my usage amount. I did happen to make these seriously delicious Pepperoni Pizza Pretzels the other day! I mean come on, pizza and pretzels? It’s like on of the worlds best combos right?
I’m a pretzel lover by nature, the big soft ones anyways. I’ve never really been the biggest fan of the crunchy sticks or any that come in a bag, UNLESS they are filled with peanut butter, then you have me eating the whole darn thing, which is completely dangerous because I get ravenous for those bad boys. I think it’s weird how you can completely not like one specific food, but if it’s served a certain way you looooove it.
Anyway, back to these Pepperoni Pizza Pretzels. I love making homemade pretzels, last year I made these Hot Ham and Cheese Stuffed Pretzels! Not only are they fun to make they are pretty easy once you get the hang of it, which can take a few times twirling a pretzel. Trust me, these pretzels I made here may not be the prettiest of things, but it’s the flavor that counts.
You simply start by mixing together some water, sugar, yeast, butter, salt and flour to make the base of your dough and let that rise for about and hour or so until I doubles in size. I used to be so afraid to work with yeast, it never seemed to turn out for me. But I kept practicing and I’ve found that the right water temp, a little sugar and proofing makes all the difference.
Anyways, then you grab yourself some cheese and pepperoni and boil up a pot of water and baking soda (gives the iconic real pretzel flavor and texture) and your roll, stuff, twist and cook and you’ve got yourself one giant cheesy Pepperoni Pizza Pretzels! These are so fun and filling that they make the perfect snack, dinner or appetizer!
Pepperoni Pizza Pretzels
- 1 1/2 cups hot water 110 degrees
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbs butter melted
- 4 cups all-purpose flour more for kneading
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 pkg pepperoni
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tbs water
- 6-8 cups water
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- In bowl mix your water, sugar and yeast and set aside to proof for about 5-10 minutes.
- Once foamy, add in your salt and butter and stir to combine.
- 1 cup at a time add in your flour and mix well, pour out onto a flour lined countertop and knead, adding more flour as your go to reduce stickiness.
- Once all lumps are out and dough is smooth and slightly sticky place in a large bowl sprayed with cooking spray and flip to coat all sides.
- Cover and place in warm draft free place to rise for about an hour or until double in size.
- Once risen remove from oven and spray countertop with non-stick cooking spray and turn your dough out.
- Cut into 6-8 equal sized pieces, pull each of your pieces to about 18-24" length and flatten with palm of hand.
- Spread some of your mozzarella cheese down the center or each piece of dough and then pinch edges to close, grab each end and twist into a pretzel shape and slightly flatten, repeat with remaining dough.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Meanwhile bring your water and baking powder to a boil, add one pretzel at a time into the water and boil for about 30-60 seconds, remove with slotted spoon and place on baking sheet.
- Repeat with all remaining pretzels.
- Mix together your egg and 2 Tbs water and brush over the tops of each pretzel, top with pepperoni slices and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in oven in batches for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with marinara sauce and enjoy!
These are delicious ! I made them and the whole family loved them! Can I use the same dough for pizza ? Thanks
Yes I use the dough for pizza and it was delicious
I just made these with my wife (a year after you post this) and they were delicious! We added Tostitos nacho cheese sauce as dipping choice and it went over super well. Thanks for sharing this recipe!
Im so happy you liked them! That sauce sounds amazing with them!
These look yummy! I know my daughter will want to try these ASAP, she loves soft pretzels. Your blog name is super original, love it! Have a great weekend!