Creamy and delicious this Caramel Banana Cream Pie takes the traditional and kicks it up a notch.
Ok if you’ve known me for any length of time then you have to know my insatiable love for banana desserts! I mean like I have a complete addiction and I’m not going to apologize for it at all. I mean bananas are healthy right?
One of my absolute favorite banana desserts is this Southern Banana Pudding. Which actually becomes the base for this Caramel Banana Cream Pie. The pudding is so creamy and flavorful and not to mention completely homemade.
Now I like a pudding pie like the next guy, but I like the homemade version of the pie better than when you use a boxed version. Yes it may take a little longer but seriously it’s so easy and it tastes absolutely amazing.
This Caramel Banana Cream Pie can technically be made with either a normal pie crust or the graham cracker crust that I made for this recipe. It’s more or less your preference and I majorly prefer myself a graham cracker crust ❤❤This comes together so nicely. It takes a little but of set up time but trust me when I say it is absolutely worth it. I mean I’d slave all day just so I can eat this pie that’s how much I love it.
But we are all well aware that I’m a sugar fiend. But I have to admit I’ve started a little low carb diet yesterday and oh my goodness I’m missing my sweets. Luckily this Caramel Banana Cream Pie was made before my diet so I got to enjoy every last bite.
Oh and if you know anything about my dessert hating husband he had 2 slices of this pie for lunch right after I took the photos so that’s saying something. Woo-hoo, pie for the win. So if you’re a banana lover like me and you love yourself some pie as well, give this spin on the classic a taste and trust me, you’ll love this as much as the original.
Caramel Banana Cream Pie
- 2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 Tbs cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tbs butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large bananas sliced
- Cool Whip or Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce or dulce de leche
- 1 sleeve graham crackers about 9
- 4 Tbs butter melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- In sauce pan mix together your milk, sugar, cornstarch, salt, egg and egg yolk.
- Heat on medium until bubbly and thick. Remove from heat and stir in your butter and vanilla until butter is melted.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator and let cool to room temp.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 350.
- To make your graham cracker crust add your graham crackers to a food processor and pulse until fine crumbs form, add in your butter and sugar and pulse again until its all wet.
- Press into a 9" pie plate and bake in oven for about 7-10 minutes, remove and let cool.
- Once everything is cooled add your caramel sauce to your pie crust.
- Top with half your your pudding mixture and then your sliced bananas then top with remaining pudding mix.
- Cover and chill for at least 4 hours if not overnight which is what I like to do.
- Once chilled top with cool whip and serve!