Delectable brown sugar cake is poked and poured with a toffee syrup making this Brown Sugar Toffee Poke Cake a delicious Fall treat!
Ok ya’ll let’s get real here. I have something at my local gas station called Caramel Delights and I’m addicted. Like literally addicted. I had messaged the store manager (luckily I know her) that I needed more of these in my life and to please put some out.
Well wouldn’t you know it, she did. And my husband bought me 4!! Yeah…I paced myself, sort of. Moderation is key in this algorithm between me and sweets. So it took me a whopping 4 day’s to eat them all. That’s enough moderation correct? Oh well, they are bomb and I want them all.
Well it wouldn’t be me if I didn’t try and recreate it. Technically the other recipe close to what it looked like was Sticky Toffee Pudding. Of course I don’t keep dates on hand so the true recipe for that was out, but that didn’t stop me. I made a sort of dateless version using some of the ingredients used in the recipe to come up with this Brown Sugar Toffee Poke Cake!
Fall is fast approaching so I figured it was time to whip out some of the Fall flavors from back burner, because we all know that you’ve been craving them like I have. I’m a girl that could eat pumpkin anything all year long. No joke, so good!
But this cake is really good. It’s a thick yet moist cake that is amazingly good warm! Holes are poked all over the top and the toffee sauce is poured over to soak into the cake! Who doesn’t adore poke cakes anyways?!?!
One of these days I’m sure I’ll actually get to make Sticky Toffee Pudding remind me that I need to pick up some dates! But in the mean time I’m going to be happy just chilling out, eating this cake with a fork, on my couch…by myself.
Oh yeah, there is no way I’m sharing this. Is that selfish of me? Oh well, it is what it is. My husband isn’t a huge sweets fan anyways, so it usually is up to this gal to devour anything that has the word sugar/cake/sweets in it. I won’t complain, but my thighs might 🙁
Here is an after thought after the fact! My mom just emailed me after I published this post and told me that I forgot to tell you all that I had brought some of this to her and she really really enjoyed it! She’s so funny sometimes, but if it comes out of her mouth, then you know that you need to make it!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In bowl combine your flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices.
- In another bowl cream together your butter and brown sugar, mix in your eggs until combined then add in your milk and continue to beat until incorporated.
- Mix in your dry mixture until just combined.
- Pour into a greased 9x9" baking dish and bake for about 25 minutes or until center is set and cake is golden.
- Meanwhile in saucepan mix together all your ingredients for your Toffee Sauce and bring to a boil, stirring constantly making sure it doesn't boil over.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often until slightly thickened and turns a shade darker.
- Meanwhile, remove your cake from oven and immediately poke all over top with skewer, fork or the end of a spoon.
- Pour about 1/2 of your sauce mixture over the top and let sit for about 20 minutes to absorb.
- Serve warm with warm sauce over top.
- *Best if served warm
- *Cake has the texture almost of gingerbread cake