I’ve been sitting on 2 bags of apples for a while now and just haven’t gotten around to using them. Well besides making my awesome Apple Salsa! The other day my lovely husband received a package from Amazon. Well he was such a sweetie and ordered me a donut pan! He knows how much I’ve been wanting one (I usually borrow my moms) and he did what I hadn’t yet gotten around to doing and ordered one for me. What a sweetie!
Obviously I love donuts. I love creating different flavor combinations with them. When I first posted my Butterfinger Donuts way back this spring when I first started this blog I had to narrow it down. I made Almond Joy, Nutella, Oreo, Butterfinger and one other that I can’t remember so it mustn’t of been noteworthy. But needless to say they are fun to play around with to say the least.
I knew I had to use these apples up so I decided that an apple donut was the way to go. You can’t go wrong with something that doubles as a dessert plus a breakfast cake at the same time! Granted donuts are a breakfast food to begin with but the coffee cake aspect of this recipe makes them even more so “breakfasty”. Is that a word?
These are gently drizzled with a flavorful almond glaze that gives it just the sweet pop that they deserve! Get yourself a cup of coffee and dunk these guys in! At least that’s what I’m told people do. I myself have never dunked anything besides biscotti in my coffee. I may need to give my suggesting a much-needed try!
Apple Coffee Cake Donuts
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups diced apple peeled and cored
Coffee Cake Crumble:
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1-2 Tbs milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease the wells of a 6 or 12 count donut pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- In medium bowl cream together your butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add your egg, vanilla and yogurt and mix until combined.
- In separate bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Stir into the wet ingredients until combined.
- Fold in your apples.
- To make your Coffee Cake Crumble, mix together all ingredients until coarse crumbs form.
- Using a large piping bag or a zip lock bag with the corner snipped off, fill with your batter.
- Pip into greased donut pan (if using a 6 count, you will do 2 batches).
- Sprinkle tops with the crumble mixture, press down slightly.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and tops are golden.
- Remove from pan and let cool on wire rack.
- Mix together all your glaze ingredients and drizzle over tops of donuts.
- I used a smaller donut pan (not mini), this recipe should make roughly 12 regular sized donuts give or take a few depending on how full you fill your wells.
Tornadough Alli is not a nutritionist or dietitian, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and nutritional value is important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and values can vary depending on which brands were used.Nutrition Disclaimer