I’ve been sitting on 2 bags of apples for a while now and just haven’t gotten around to using them. Well besides making my awesome Apple Salsa! The other day my lovely husband received a package from Amazon. Well he was such a sweetie and ordered me a donut pan! He knows how much I’ve been wanting one (I usually borrow my moms) and he did what I hadn’t yet gotten around to doing and ordered one for me. What a sweetie!
Obviously I love donuts. I love creating different flavor combinations with them. When I first posted my Butterfinger Donuts way back this spring when I first started this blog I had to narrow it down. I made Almond Joy, Nutella, Oreo, Butterfinger and one other that I can’t remember so it mustn’t of been noteworthy. But needless to say they are fun to play around with to say the least.
I knew I had to use these apples up so I decided that an apple donut was the way to go. You can’t go wrong with something that doubles as a dessert plus a breakfast cake at the same time! Granted donuts are a breakfast food to begin with but the coffee cake aspect of this recipe makes them even more so “breakfasty”. Is that a word?
These are gently drizzled with a flavorful almond glaze that gives it just the sweet pop that they deserve! Get yourself a cup of coffee and dunk these guys in! At least that’s what I’m told people do. I myself have never dunked anything besides biscotti in my coffee. I may need to give my suggesting a much-needed try!
Apple Coffee Cake Donuts
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups diced apple peeled and cored
Coffee Cake Crumble:
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1-2 Tbs milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease the wells of a 6 or 12 count donut pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- In medium bowl cream together your butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add your egg, vanilla and yogurt and mix until combined.
- In separate bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Stir into the wet ingredients until combined.
- Fold in your apples.
- To make your Coffee Cake Crumble, mix together all ingredients until coarse crumbs form.
- Using a large piping bag or a zip lock bag with the corner snipped off, fill with your batter.
- Pip into greased donut pan (if using a 6 count, you will do 2 batches).
- Sprinkle tops with the crumble mixture, press down slightly.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and tops are golden.
- Remove from pan and let cool on wire rack.
- Mix together all your glaze ingredients and drizzle over tops of donuts.
- I used a smaller donut pan (not mini), this recipe should make roughly 12 regular sized donuts give or take a few depending on how full you fill your wells.