Soft and delicious cookie dough is packed into a cast iron skillet, stuffed with caramel apple and baked until golden to make this Caramel Apple Stuffed Snickerdoodle Skillet Cookie an addicting treat!
So I have to admit, the beginning of the Fall here in Minnesota has been pretty nice, I’m not going to complain. The leaves are finally changing and it’s becoming a bit more brown and less green these days. Long gone are the day’s of Summer and I honestly don’t know how I really feel about that.
I’m a Summer girl for sure, but there is something about the smell in the air of Fall that gives me this overwhelming feeling of comfort that I would be lying to say that I don’t enjoy. The leaves are falling from the trees, the air is getting a bit more crisp and the crops are finally being harvested, a busy time here.
One good thing about Fall is that it’s apple season! I can’t believe I waited this long to actually post a recipe using apples!! Well technically I posted these Caramel Apple Pie Overnight Oats, which are down right good, but technically aren’t baked so it doesn’t count, lol! So here we introduce the Caramel Apple Stuffed Snickerdoodle Skillet Cookie.
I have to admit, I’m a little bit addicted to this stuff. And my sweets hating husband agreed!! I think it’s the mixture of soft cookie, cinnamon sugar and caramel apples. Seriously one of the best combos ever. Move over apple crisp this Caramel Apple Stuffed Snickerdoodle Skillet Cookie is here to stay.
This is a really simple recipe, which you all now I thrive off of. You whip up some cookie dough, chill it and if you want to, not saying that you have to, you can make your own apple filling. I didn’t for this recipe, simply because I had a can of apple pie filling that was begging to be used so I had to put her to good use.
Also with this you have the option of making our own caramel sauce or using a jarred sauce. I had some Kraft Caramel Bites that I melted down with some cream and used, they come in really handy!! Bake it up and top it with some ice cream and caramel and you have yourself an addictive treat that you can eat (and I did) straight from the skillet!
Enjoy Fall and apple season while it lasts and definitely make this delicious Caramel Apple Stuffed Snickerdoodle Skillet Cookie and devour it with a spoon like we did, no shame!
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 can Apple Pie Filling
- 3/4 cup caramel bits (or caramel sauce from jar)
- 3 Tbs heavy cream
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Rub a 10-12" cast iron skillet with butter or shortening.
- In bowl combine your flour and baking powder and whisk to combine.
- In another large bowl cream your butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. Add in your vanilla and mix.
- Slowly add in your flour mixture until combined.
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Once chilled cut your dough in half and spread half of the dough in bottom of prepared skillet, on a piece of parchment or wax paper shape the remaining dough into a disc about the size of the skillet and return to refrigerator.
- Pre-bake your bottom layer in oven for about 15-20 minutes or until top is just set, remove from oven.
- Chop your apple pie mixture into smaller pieces, set aside.
- Melt together your cream and caramel bits and spread half of mixture on top of the cookie dough keeping about 1 inch away from sides, top with apple pie filling and drizzle with remaining caramel.
- Remove dough disc from refrigerator and turn out on top of your filling and press to sides to seal.
- In small bowl mix together your 2 Tbs sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon and sprinkle over the top of your cookie
- Return to oven and bake for about 30-40 minutes or until golden and set.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 15 minutes before cutting into.
- Top with ice cream and extra caramel sauce and apples if desired.