A cheesy and spicy appetizer these delicious Copycat Texas Roadhouse Rattlesnake Bites are the perfect appetizer to any meal!
If you haven’t already figured out from many many many of my previous posts, I love appetizers. I could sustain myself off of appetizers all day long. A platter of just appetizers for supper? Sign me up. Yeah I know it sounds a little over board but I adore lots of “small portion” plates…combined together on one slightly larger plate to make a meal.
When we were in Denver a few weeks ago, for my birthday I choose to go to Texas Roadhouse. I haven’t been in a few years, it was near the hotel and I just felt like “bar” food. While I already adore their amazing rolls and cinnamon honey butter, we tried something new for one.
New meant these delicious Rattlesnake Bites. They aren’t what the name implies. They are delicious cheese and jalapeno filled balls that are battered and deep-fried until golden and melty. Well melty is my middle name. I’m addicted to cheese so these were a no brainer.
They came to our table and we tried them for the first time and immediately I wanted to order another plate to bring back to the hotel with us for later. unfortunately I didn’t 🙁 But I knew that this was the first thing that I NEEDED to make when I got back to Minnesota.
And that is just what we did. The next day we ran to the store and I made sure that I had all the ingredients that I needed to recreate these delicious, cheesy handheld treats.
Now this is kind of a cross between jalapeno poppers and mozzarella sticks. Which both I absolutely adore…so obviously you already know what I think about these! Trust me, you need to try them!!
- 2 (8 oz) blocks Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- 2-3 jalapenos, diced (depending on how hot you like them)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Oil for frying
- In bowl combine your shredded cheese and jalapenos.
- Shape cheese mixture into about 1 1/2" balls, squeezing tightly to compress.
- Place on cookie sheet and freeze for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat your deep fryer to 350.
- Once chilled, in bowl add your flour.
- In another bowl mix together your egg and milk.
- Lastly in bowl stir together your bread crumbs and seasonings.
- Start by rolling your balls into the flour mixture, then dipping into milk and lastly coating with bread crumbs.
- Fry in batches for about 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauces.
- We like to shred our own cheese from blocks because it seems to make the Rattlesnake Bites hold together better.