I don’t think I’ve been more excited for warmer weather in so long than I am now. I have had enough of the winter blues and I am so ready for spring…even more so summer. I’m a warm weather type of gal, I enjoy bonfires, tubing, lake days and cookouts. It is finally warming up around these parts where we can start thinking about bringing the grill out of hiding. And thinking about that makes me think of grilling sides like this Deep Fried Potato Salad.
You heard that right! This is no ordinary potato salad, these babies are deep-fried before they are coated with the yummy dressing concoction. I first seen this method many years ago when Down Home with the Neely’s was still on the Food Network channel. I’ve been hooked ever since and I try to make it as often as I can because it is absolutely delicious.
I have to admit, I’m a huge fan of my deep fryer and unfortunately my old girl broke in the middle of making this!! I was so upset, but we knew she was on her last leg so it wasn’t surprising, just sad. So I had to transfer everything over to stove top which I hate doing because I can’t gauge the temp as well. Luckily it cooked just like I wanted and now I am on the hunt for a new deep fryer, so if any of you have any recommendations please let me hear them.
This Deep Fried Potato Salad recipe is pretty straightforward. You do everything the way you normally make your salad but instead of boiling your potatoes you deep fry them. Now with this recipe you can either peel your potatoes or leave the skins on, it’s really personal preference. I like them either way, these pics have them with skins on but I usually peel them but was feeling kinda lazy…don’t judge, it happens ????.
- 2 lbs russet potatos, peel or unpeeled (your choice)
- 1 cup mayo or salad dressing
- 1 Tbs mustard
- 1 Tbs sugar
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/4-1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup green onions, chopped
- Oil for frying
- Dice potatoes and place in cold water.
- Meanwhile heat your oil to 375.
- Once heated dry your potatoes and fry in batches until golden, about 4-5 minutes each.
- Drain potatoes on paper towel lined plate.
- In bowl whisk together your mayo, mustard, sugar, salt, pepper and enough milk to make it the consistency you like.
- Add your potatoes to a serving bowl then stir in your sauce mixtures.
- Gently fold in your green onions.
- Refrigerate until chilled and serve!
- Other things we like to add to this salad are crumbled bacon!
To see where I’m linked at visit my Link Parties page and join the fun. Don’t forget to link up with me every Tuesday and Thursday nights at 6pm CST for Wonderul Wednesday and Throwback Thursday!